Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Warm October Welcome

The first of October came with a smile on its face. I woke up feeling good. I'm not sure about the reason. A good dream probably, which most of the time I can't recall. Or perhaps I just woke up, as they say, on the right side of the bed.

Whatever the reason, I am certain to enjoy the day. The sun was just lovely as I ventured outside the door. I sat outside basking in the sunlight. I even called out to my wife, who was still in bed, to come over and sun bath. She did.

What's more...it was a holiday! Well, at least for her...a government employee holiday...something to do with a Muslim holiday. My office doesn't care about holidays. But the boss doesn't complain if you do take it though. The thing is, we don't have to rush. Usually, we would have awakened with a jolt from the alarm clock at 4:30 a.m. and dragged ourselves to the bathroom with brains still half asleep. Now, we could leisurely greet the sun, Good morning!

The day before, the wireless network at the office sort of broke down after I did some port forwarding with the router and I went home late without being able to fix it. I remember hoping that probably after a night's rest, the router would resume with its normal functions.

Well, I came to the office and with optimistic anticipation turned on the computer. The network was still down. But my day is not about to be taken down by some misbehaving R2D2. The idea of using the cables direct from the router, (instead of using wireless) popped into my mind. And so with a little crawling under and climbing over tables and a pair of dusty hands later, I was online and connected to the server. I was alone as usual in the office, so...what the heck. I jumped and danced my happy dance to celebrate my victory over digital matter. This, by the way, is also another first for me. A few years back, I never touch those things. Modems, routers, whatever. I leave them to the tech guys at the IT department. Now, I do most things myself. I'm learning a lot!

It is still morning as I wrote this. It can't wait of course. After a really warm and beautiful start, the bright day awaits with many pleasant surprises for me ahead. What can I say, but... Thank you, Lord of the Universe!

No comments: