Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A brush with ASP.net

A couple of weeks back, the boss came over to announce that he's scrapping the project I was currently working on because he thought it was not very commercially viable. In its stead, he explained to me the new project he thought would be more feasible. It's got to do with online tutoring. So that means it would involve some online chatting application, and some graphics manipulation to go with it. Probably, later on, it would introduce voice chat too.

The biggest issue here of course is that I need to learn a new language and fast. And that would be ASP.net. We'll, I've really been meaning to study it for quite some time, but I just didn't have the time beyond worrying over the current application project.

So, I grabbed one of 5 books in the shelf nearest me, "Instant ASP.net". After a quick pass over the book, I realized that the book is not as helpful as I expected it to be. So, to the net I splashed and googled for everything under the sun that's got ASP.net on its tag label. The problem here is that I don't have the luxury of starting from the very beginning and working myself up the ladder before plunging into a project. The boss says, I gotta launch a test chatroom in two weeks time more or less, saying that ASP.net is actually very easy a high school freshman can learn it in a week.

Long story short, I was able to publish over IIS a test chat page after 2 weeks. Elated at the success of my first ASP.net 'Hello World'-like page, I began to enjoy learning ASP.net. Then, the boss messaged me just this morning telling me to use PHP and MySQL instead. After learning 0.01% of ASP.net, I have to teach myself PHP and MySQL! Fast! God, I am introducing myself to a lot of languages. I hope I get to master at least one of them.

No comments: