Wednesday, October 29, 2008

End of the month journal

I didn't know web application programming is this fun! After a superficial brush with ASP.net, I plunge into PHP-MySQL- Apache-Javascript-Ajax. Two days ago, the boss and I realized that we could not make the kind of chat and whiteboard application that we had in mind using PHP alone. The kind we wanted needs to be programmed using Flash! So, I have to drop the pathetic beginnings of a chat program (with codes I have salvaged from a lot of sources) because he instructed just 2 days ago to just clone up the webpages of a model site he liked for our website (that will host the chat program). He is, right now, looking for programmers who know flash, php and mysql to build the chat-whiteboard application.

So, these past couple of days had me researching, coding, and photoshopping up images for the website. I don't know, but I feel I am really enjoying this. Maybe, it's the doing-something-new effect; probably, it's because of the warming up of my right brain hemisphere due to the aesthetics of the "art work" that I do every now and then; or, probably it's because I just had my birthday a couple of weeks ago, followed by my wife's birthday a week after that, and then my mother's birthday just 3 days ago. And I also solved my very first complete Rubic's cube; thanks to some guy's youtube instructional video.

The thing about cloning a website, or anything for that matter, is that you get to show off your skills and your finesse at doing things exactly as expected. The downside is that, even when you see that something could be done better, you'll have to forego implementing your creative ideas, because that is not what is expected. In two days, beginner as I am, I have only created the home page and just beginning the second page. All the links are still to be worked on. The boss had implied that he expects something substantial on Saturday, and that's just 3 days from now. Oh, how I hate thin deadlines. Judging by the rate I am going now, I need six days just to do the major pages. Ugh! That's why I either have to become a boss myself, or at least become really good at this programming thing fast. Or, I could go ahead and pursue a friend's idea of looking for some income earning job that's more home-based. Less stressful, he said. I might just look into that one of these days.

So far, this is all that's notable enough to write this week about my world (pretty boring world, eh?). Yeah, sort of boring, indeed. But as soon as I earn my first million dollars, things are going to change drastically, rest assured. Bye for now.

No comments: